Definition of work stress
The U.S Department of Health has
defined Job Stress as:
"...the harmful physical and emotional responses that occur when the requirements of a job do not match the capabilities, resources or needs of the worker".
Under this definition it is clear that you can be stressed at work, not just if you are not fully able or trained to do a job, but also if the nature of the job is such that it does not meet your emotional or psychological needs. Clearly, if specific high demands are also being placed on you this can lead to considerable pressure and stress.
leading to work stress
The following factors, amongst others, can lead to work stress:
- Heavy workload
- Having little control or influence in decisions
- Tension or conflict with other employees
- Poor supervision or management
- Lack of belief in the objectives of the organisation
- Job insecurity or lack of opportunity to develop
- Lack of interest or fulfilment in the nature of the work
- Unpleasant or dangerous work environments
Effects of work stress
Studies suggest that work stress can increase your risk for
heart disease, psychological disorders and other health problems. Early warning sign of potential health risks can include headaches,
disturbed sleep and difficulty in concentrating. If you are
experiencing any of these signs to a significant degree you should
consider consulting your doctor.
Coaching can help people experiencing stressful work situations, through a combination of the following:
- Exploring options in your work situation for improving it
- Generating and exploring options to move out of the work situation if that seems appropriate
- Getting in control of workload and helping to manage time effectively if that is an issue
- Dealing with specific situations that are causing you stress using an effective cognitive behavioural coaching model (I use a model called The STAR Model which I have found to be particularly effective) .
- Examining and addressing your own negative thought patterns or anxieties if these are holding you back.
Like This Page? Share it on Social Media:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - --
For downloadable ebook Self-Help Guides to different topics go to: